Half Day Langa Township Tours (Afternoons)
We specialise in creating township experiences that are uplifting, inspirational and eco-friendly.
Join Vamos as we explore the daily lives and culture of the Xhosa people of Cape Town. We’ll take you through some of the older migrant labour hostels, shacks and shanties, and the middle class area known as “Beverley Hills”.
This is not a “Big Five – Game Drive” experience. We will walk and talk, interact and exchange stories. We’re proud of who we are, we’re grasping the opportunities presented by new South Africa. By being a guest in our township, you’re contributing to our growth and development!
Our luxury air-conditioned touring minivans have a maximum capacity of 8 persons. We need a minimum of 2 persons for a tour to take place.
* Our afternoon pickups start from 13:30 pm: Camps Bay and Sea Point area
* Around 13:45 pm: Green Point and Waterfront area
* Finally around 14:00 pm: The City Bowl
* We then drive to Langa township where our first stop is at the Guga S'Thebe Cultural Centre.
* After an introduction and visiting some of the craft workshops, we commence the most significant part of your experience which is the Vamos walking tour of the streets, alleys, homes and shacks of Langa.
* By this time the streets will be full of children returning from school. Now we head for the fun part of your tour which a visit to the Happy Feet Youth Project, an NGO founded and run by Siviwe Mbinda and his tour guide colleagues in 2007.
* Local township guide.
* Visit to Happy Feet Youth Project.
Our walking tour is a gentle stroll with many stops.
What to bring
* An open heart and open mind.
* Many guests want to bring gifts for the township kids. We do not encourage giving anything to the kids whilst the tours are underway that may encourage a culture of begging. Especially not candies, sweets or sodas!
(We welcome any donations of clothing, educational toys, food which will be distributed by your guide amongst kids at our supported charity, Happy Feet.)
What to wear
* Comfortable walking shoes
* In Summer you may need sun cream, and a hat.
* In Winter, warm clothes and possibly a rain jacket or even an umbrella.
* Please leave valuables at your accommodation/boot of a locked car
* Use cell phone camera rather than valuable photographic equipment
Our afternoon pickups start from 13:30 in the Camps Bay and Sea Point area, followed by Green Point and Waterfront area, and finally the City Bowl around 14:00.
(Default pickup: Only applies if you have not yet made an accommodation booking, then please use this as your default pickup point: Victoria and Alfred Hotel, V&A Waterfront, at traffic turning circle. Look out for our Vamos-branded, white minivan)
Anywhere in central Cape Town area (Camps Bay, Sea Point, Green Point, V&A Waterfront, central Cape Town.
Sometime Air BnB accommodation is outside of the city pickup area. Is this instance, we will collect you from the traffic turning circle, outside the V&A Hotel, Waterfront.
Cancellation 7 days or more before tour: Cancellation Fee 50% of selling price
Cancellation 2-7 days before tour: Cancellation Fee 75% of selling Price
Cancellation less than 48 hrs before tour: Cancellation fee 100% of selling price