Half Day Langa Township Tours (Morning)
We specialise in creating township experiences that are uplifting, inspirational and eco-friendly: Join Vamos as we explore the daily lives and culture of the Xhosa people of Cape Town. We’ll take you through some of the older migrant labour hostels, shacks and shanties, and the middle class area known as “Beverley Hills”. This is not a “Big Five – Game Drive” experience. We will walk and talk, interact and exchange stories. We’re proud of who we are, we’re grasping the opportunities presented by new South Africa. By being a guest in our township, you’re contributing to our growth and development!
Our luxury air-conditioned touring minivans have a maximum capacity of 8 persons. We need a minimum of 2 persons for a tour to take place. * Our pickups start from 8:30 am: Camps Bay and Sea Point area * Then around 8:45 am: Greenpoint and Waterfront area * Finally around 9:00 am: The City Bowl * We then drive to Langa township, where our first stop is at the Guga S'Thebe cultural centre. * After an introduction and visiting some of the craft workshops, we commence the most significant part of your experience which is the Vamos walking tour of the streets, alleys, homes and shacks of Langa. * By now its lunch time (included in morning tour). * Weekdays we go to Mzoli's in Guguletu for their famous barbecue lunch. * On the weekends we enjoy a home-cooked and home-hosted lunch in Langa. * We return to Cape Town around 13:00.
- Local guide
- Weekends and public holidays we enjoy a very personal, home-hosted, lunch in Langa.
- Weekends we go to at Mzoli’s (Guguletu) for their famous braai (barbecue).
- An open heart and open mind.
- Many guests want to bring gifts for the township kids. We do not encourage giving anything to the kids whilst the tours are underway that may encourage a culture of begging. Especially not candies, sweets or sodas.
(We welcome any donations of clothing, educational toys, food which will be distributed by your guide amongst kids at our supported charity, Happy Feet.)
- Walking shoes
- In Summer you may need suncream, and a hat.
- In winter, warm clothes and possibly a rain jacket or even an umbrella.
- Please leave valuables at your hotel/boot of locked car.
- Use cell phone camera rather than valuable photographic equipment
The walking tour is more like a stroll with many stops.
Pick-ups from guest houses and hotels in the central Cape Town area. We start around 08:30 in Camps Bay area, followed by Sea Point, Green Point, V&A Waterfront, Sea Point and finally the City Bowl around 09:00.
(Default pickup: Only applies if you have not yet made an accommodation booking, then please use this as your default pickup point: Victoria and Alfred Hotel, V&A Waterfront, at traffic turning circle. Look out for our Vamos-branded white minivan)
Drop-offs as requested in the central Cape Town area.
Cancellation 7 days or more before tour: Cancellation Fee 50% of selling price Cancellation 2-7 days before tour: Cancellation Fee 75% of selling Price Cancellation less than 48 hrs before tour: Cancellation fee 100% of selling price
Displaying 3 of 3 View all
18 Gangster Museum5 November, 2018
Teresa Wong15 October, 2017
Jacob Chionerwa8 July, 2018