Shark Cage Diving With A Great White Shark
How it begins:
We collect you from Cape Town or Hermanus and take you on a scenic drive to ‘White Shark Lodge’, our home base in Kleinbaai, to enjoy a delicious continental breakfast and discuss current sightings, indemnities, wetsuits and equipment before heading off to board our custom built 36 ft, 4 tonne white shark dive catamaran – ‘Shark Team’. We limit her to 20 passenger capacity plus 5 crew to ensure your comfort and viewing pleasure throughout your adventure experience. You get to meet one of our intrepid skippers, a qualified paramedic, a Dive Master and our friendly crew and enjoy a short talk on shark anatomy and behaviour. We explain how White Shark Projects works with the sharks in the area and how you will spend the next couple of hours diving and viewing these wondrous predators in their natural habitat.
As the day unfolds:
You are fully briefed on all procedures and the action begins as our crew ‘chums’ the cruise area and you wait with bated breath for your initial glimpse of the first shark fin. Sharks are usually wary at first and we wait a while for them to settle and then lower the diving cage. Our first guests enter the cage (takes 4 – 5 people) and spend about 20 minutes face to face with the sharks! We will work with individual sharks and you can enjoy topside viewing during your wait as shark activity is often close to the surface. In fact, Great Whites are also known for their ‘spy hopping’ – breaching right out of the water in pursuit of prey! Topside viewing can yield a lot of those action shots !
Your day with White Shark Projects
PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO TIDES AND COLLECTION SCHEDULES, WE CAN ONLY CONFIRM EXACT COLLECTION TIMES AT 16H00 ON THE DAY PRIOR TO YOUR TOUR.
- Pickup and scenic transfer: We collect you from Cape Town or Hermanus and drive you to our home base in Kleinbaai. Alternatively, we can arrange a car hire for you or transfer by helicopter or microlight. Or for an extended experience of the area, Ask about our accommodation options.
- Please contact us on +27 (0) 76 245 5880 the day prior to your tour to receive the exact meeting or collection time as this changes daily depending on the weather and tide conditions.
- Breakfast at our meeting place. We serve a continental breakfast which consists of yoghurt, cereals, toast, muffins, tea and coffee.
- Your day at sea and a lecture on board: The skipper of the day gives a short lecture on the Great White Shark. He explains how we work with the sharks in the area. We spend 2 to 4 hours at sea, depending on how often the sharks visit the boat. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can think up!
- Diving and viewing: Our cage takes 6 people at a time. Each person spends about 20 minutes in the cage. We provide all necessary diving and safety equipment for you to enjoy your cage diving experience in South Africa in comfort and security. You don't need a scuba license to cage dive.
- Refreshments on board include snacks, fruit, water and assorted juices and soft drinks.
- Afternoon tea: On your return to dry land, you're invited to join us for tea and homemade vegetable soup at our Lodge.
- A USB Movie of your trip (Optional Extra) We have a professional videographer on all our trips
Lunch and refreshments:
Our lunch boxes are hearty, offering a variety of snacks, fruit, water and assorted juices and soft drinks for you to enjoy at leisure whilst on board enjoying the fine South African weather.
On our return to the harbour we treat you to tea and home made vegetable soup at our lodge giving you a chance to regroup and share the day’s experiences after which you will be driven back to your original meeting point.
- We provide all necessary diving and safety equipment for you to enjoy your cage diving experience in South Africa in comfort and security.
- If you know you are prone to motion sickness or even if you are unsure if you are, we advise you take medication before we depart so as not to spoil your adventure!
- And last tip – don’t forget your camera!!
Day Trip Movie - optional extra
- We only ask that you bring suntan lotion, cap and sunglasses, a warm jersey/jacket and of course, a swimming suit.
- SEASICK TABLETS - If you know you are prone to motion sickness or even if you are unsure if you are, we advise you take medication 2 hours before we depart so as not to spoil your adventure!
- Suntan lotion
- A cap
- A warm jacket
- Comfortable shoes
White Shark Projects, 16 Geelbek Street, Gansbaai
White Shark Projects, 16 Geelbek Street, Gansbaai
PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH 2 CONTACTABLE NUMBERS AND/OR EMAIL ADDRESS.
The cost is for diving only, transport can be arranged at an additional cost of ZAR 500.00. For groups of more than 5 you qualify for a discount.
Due to weather and tide conditions, all tours and tour times are ONLY confirmed the day before your tour. Please contact us on +27 (0) 76 245 5880 the day prior to your tour to receive your exact meeting or collection time for your shark cage diving experience.
Tours must be cancelled at least 24 hrs before tour departure time. If the client cancels less than 24 hrs before tour departure time from Cape Town, a 100% cancellation fee applies. If the client does not arrive for their tour (a 'no show'), a 100% cancellation fee applies. Thorough weather checks are done prior to any trip. If bad weather prevents us from proceeding with a trip on any particular day, clients are informed and an alternative date is negotiated or an entire refund is given. If strong winds pick up while out at sea and a return to shore is required for the safety of passengers and crew, a refund is not applicable, but we will graciously offer a Voucher for a free trip. Remember, we are dealing with wild animals, so sightings cannot be guaranteed. Refunds are therefore not considered in the event of non-sightings, however, a second tour is offered free of charge. Due to variable weather conditions and shark activity, diving may not always be possible and is therefore not guaranteed. The boat tour we offer consists of approx 4 hours at sea. Time-related itineraries and collection times are dependent on tides, weather conditions and the amount of tours scheduled for a particular day. Exact collection times are therefore only available after 16h00 the day prior to the tour, and may vary between 4.30am and 11.30am daily. If our vessel is out of the water for a certain period (for maintenance or any other reason), we will continue to run our tours by chartering another vessel (also adequately registered for shark cage diving)