Sunrise/Sunset Hike up Lion’s Head
- About 4 hours
The views from the summit of Lion's Head at sunset are absolutely spectacular. The route takes us on a full lap of the mountain overlooking Cape Town and the surrounding mountains and beaches.
Join our sunset Hike up Lion's Head and make friends from around the world while soaking up Cape Town's famous sunsets from the best vantage point possible! The hike up to the summit takes roughly 1.5 hours but passes many incredible viewpoints and the trail is very exciting in places! After enjoying the summit views and photo opportunities we will either enjoy the sunset up there or hike down to a quieter viewpoint. Once the sun sets we hike safely back down with head torches as the city lights start to glow beneath us.
Our route starts on an easy jeep track and slowly winds its way around the mountain, revealing a new view of Cape Town around every bend. The track then turns to a rocky path and gets steeper, with some sections of rocky scrambling near the summit where you will use your hands to assist you. After enjoying the summit we return to the starting point via the same route or we can try some alternative routes if time and conditions allow.
Terrain: The easiest route does not require any hands or climbing technical rock steps. There is a more adventurous route up “chains” for those who don't suffer from fear of heights.
Difficulty: This is also the shortest and easiest hike we offer so it's suitable for families and people of all ages with a moderate fitness level.
Good to know
- Arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the specified start time
- A short briefing and kit check will be conducted before we start hiking. All participants must ensure they have all the compulsory gear before arrival or risk not being allowed to take part in the hike
- This hike is 3 - 4 hours long. We hike slowly to allow all members of the group to keep up and take a number of breaks to eat, drink and enjoy the surrounding views
- Participants must have a good fitness level and be able to walk for 2 hours
- Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
- Qualified tour guide
- All medical and safety equipment
- Water bottle on request
- Hiking snacks
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- Gratuities (optional)
- Sun protection
- Water/juice (0.5 litres minimum)
- 1 snack per hour of walking (compulsory)
- Any personal medication (compulsory)
- Comfortable walking shoes/boots
- Clothing suitable for season
- Jacket/warm top
- Waterproof jacket if rain is predicted
- Hat/beanie (if cold temp. is predicted)
Fantastic trip we saw a humpback whale, Heaviside dolphins, African penguins and a cape fur seal. We may have been very lucky with wildlife, but even if we had not seen as much it would’ve been a great alternative way to see the scenery of Cape Town!
My friends and I had such an amazing experience on this tour. We went on the 7am trip and the conditions were beautiful. Our tour guide was very helpful and made me feel very safe.
Such breathtaking views of Cape Town, and an added bonus of the dolphins playing right along side of us!! highly recommend this tour.
An amazing experience Kayaking on the waters early morning in Cape Town. Its extra special if there is dolphins swimming around also. It does require a little bit of core exercise but it is great fun. The guide Jordan is super chilled and friendly. Great fun and and a cool bucket list activity to experience.
We were so lucky to see two whales and some dolphins on our kayak trip with Atlantic Outlook early November! The conditions were simply perfect. Atlantic Outlook is your choice for a very relaxed and entertaining kayak tour around the coast of Cape Town! Don't hesitate, you will not be disappointed!
Fantastic experience. Jordan and company great hosts. Experienced Dolphins and seals close up. A must do cape town tour
Light Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 24 hours before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 24 hours before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.